Allroad. Gravel. Road plus. Call it what you will, the Hardknott is our take on a road bike for beyond the asphalt. We took road geometry, made room for 700 x 35c rubber (or 32c with full mudguards, or 650b x 42c for hitting the grav), raised the head tube just a few mm and pushed it away a little to create toe room for larger tyres, kept the bottom bracket sweet and low for playful handling and ‘sat IN the bike’ stability, then filled in the details with all the good stuff – double butted 3AL / 2.5V titanium, variable tube diameters depending on the frame size, T47 BB shell for ultimate versatility with maximum bearing life and no creaking, straight 44mm headtube for the same reason, and internal routing done The Right Way. We’re using a Futura Gravel Fork from the Italian masters Columbus. You choose the paint and anodising finish, and for a little extra can go full custom. If you had to choose one bike to keep for the rest of your life, it might well be this one.
- 3AL / 2.5V double butted titanium tubing: The best. Stronger than steel. lighter than aluminium, and the famous ride feel that only the best metal bikes offer.
- Columbus Futura Gravel Fork: this fork fits perfectly with everything we wanted this bike to be: fast enough for road, strong enough for gravel, and offers a beautiful buzz free ride on all but the harshest surface
- Intelligent geometry: Chainstay length and tube diameters are size dependent, to maintain consistent ride feel across the size range
- Fallen Road Plus Geometry: we’ve kept it tight like a road bike should be, and stretched the bits we needed to accomodate larger tyres and mudguards. The top tube and front centre are a little longer than an equivalent size road bike, to minimise toe overlap without excessively slackening the head angle. This means you’ll need a stem 10-20mm shorter than on your equivalent sized road bike. This also helps keeps the steering sharp, as does the low bottom bracket height.
- Adaptable internal cable routing done The Right Way. The cable port covers can be swapped to accomodate 1x, 2x and mechanical, Di2 or AXS shifting without ugly surplus holes in the frame. The cables cross the front of the headtube externally before entering the frame – this reduces the radius of the cable bend, and prevents cable rub on the headtube.
- T47 BB shell: the same size as a BB30 shell for stiffness and compatibilty with all common chainset standards, but threaded to ensure proper bearing alignment and creak free riding!
- Straight 44mm headtube for ZS44 / EC44 headset: as mechanics, we spec non-inegrated headsets for the increased bearing life, perfect alignment, and – again – creak free operation.
- Titanium seatpost clamp and aluminium rear thru-axle included